Wednesday

a policy of digital isolationism...


So, the last time I counted, I had 6 email addresses, 4 social networking profiles, 2 phones, 2 Youtube channels and 1 website. Needless to say, I find myself struggling to stay on top of the constant flow of likes, dislikes, posts, messages, tweets and email with reasonable frequency. So what is the solution - should I adopt a policy of digital isolationism and check out? Do I stop responding? Well, this did not work very well with junkmail or telemarketers as they still found me. I should probably come up with a plan.

I will begin by having more to say - less often. Isn't it better to say nothing and leave'em guessing than it is to comment for the sake of keeping content updated? When we think of the way we used to communicate, people would wait for days to receive a letter to be delivered by a courier. Countries waited to find out if they were going to war, women didn't know if they were being married off....I think my friends and followers can wait a little longer to hear my latest rant.

Life in the digital age has created a sense of urgency to know what is happening at all times and to communicate what we are doing at all times, but has our quality of life improved as a result? In some instances, yes. I want to know immediately if a water main has ruptured in my neighborhood, but I don't need to know what my neighbor bought on sale as she was purchasing it, nor do I need to stumble upon the finale of LOST, before I have a chance to watch the episode and find out for myself.

I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to being constantly bombarded with messages. A little vacation or a temporary policy of digital isolationism could serve as a welcome reprieve.